Re: quick hack that may be usefull to qemu armel users

On 01/19/2010 09:18 PM, peter green wrote:
> A while back fsck got more bitchy (treated as an error rather than a
> warning) about timestamps in the future, I filed a bug report about this
> change in behaviour that breaks but the

this seems to have been cut off -- what is the bug report number?

Are you referring to http://bugs.debian.org/557636 ?

> anyway just recently I decided I needed to fix the boot process of my
> armel qemu system which was suffering from the issue so I hacked up the
> following script and saved it as /etc/rcS.d/S06ntpdate.sh
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #temporary tmpfs to let us bring up network with root readonly
> mount -t tmpfs none /etc/network/run
> ifup eth0
> #give the interface some time to come up
> sleep 10
> /usr/sbin/ntpdate pool.ntp.org
> ifdown eth0
> umount /etc/network/run

Thanks, this doesn't just affect arm users; i'm now seeing it on old
i386 hardware that has failed and/or unreachable BIOS Batteries.  :(
It's a real problem, i think, because you basically cannot reboot
machines like that without running into the problem.  And not all of
these machines have net access at boot (e.g. a travelling laptop).  Are
we expected to set the system clock correctly by hand from the
bootloader before we let it load the kernel?  how frustrating.

	--dkg