Re: Wife^wPower failure bricked sheeva plug

Bryan McGuire wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 2:52 AM, John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk
> <mailto:john@sinodun.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Connecting it via the USB lead to another computer similarly
>     produces no result - it's not seen as being a USB
>     device at all, which kind of rules out using any recovery tools on it.
>
> I can't tell if you're familiar with using the sheevaplug's debugging
> port, or if you're assuming a windows machine should simply mount the
> device as if it were a flash drive.

I'm familiar with it - as I said, it's not being seen as a USB device at
all.  Hence one can't get to the stage of accessing /dev/ttyUSB1 because
the kernel hasn't noticed that something has been plugged in.  There are
no log messages on the parent computer when the Sheevaplug is connected
to it.

Presumably something within the Sheevaplug is trying to signify
something by flashing the 3 LEDs twice a second, but so far I've been
unable to find out what.

The odd thing is that if you disconnect all leads from the Sheevaplug -
power, ethernet and USB, the flashing carries on for quite a long time
afterwards.

John