Alignment issues

Hi,
I've recently submitted bug #576944 and could use some help to trace
it down better, and understand if it's really a bug.
Some more things I've noticed:
If I set /proc/cpu/alignment to 0 (ignore) or 3 (fixup+warn) I see
three alignment traps each time _xapian.so is loaded (with
update-apt-xapian-index or axi-cache); if I set it to 1 (warn), I see
more than 50 of them.
I don't understand why this should happen.
I can either fixup or ignore the traps, both update-apt-xapian-index
and axi-cache seem to work - and the databases in
/var/lib/apt-xapian-index don't show sign of corruption.
If I add -g to g++ flags, the two unaligned relocation entries
disappear (they don't just get aligned)
Is this actually a bug?
If it is, whose bug is it?

Thanks,