Re: Sheevaplug Questions

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Howard" <mike@dewberryfields.co.uk>
To: <debian-arm@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 12:55 PM
Subject: Sheevaplug Questions

My aim with the plug was, is, to replace my 44P-170 RS6000 mail/web server, currently running debian. .... I intend to use a usb stick for the data anyway, that is web/mail data.

I'm wondering, now that I've installed to nand, apart from the quicker boot process, what if any are the advantages of installing to nand?

NAND has some advantages and disadvantages, but the big disadvantage, like with flash, is that it is subject to limited write cycles. You can't write to it as many times as you can write to a hard disk.

Of course, it's silent and uses less power, which is a big advantage.

My application requires large amounts of disk space, so I simply got a SATA hard disk and threw it into a USB enclosure. Total power drawn is 15 watts (5 for the Sheeva, 10 for the hard disk and enclosure) and it's still small and light. The Sheeva boots off the hard disk (as any normal Linux machine does), off a reasonably-sized /boot partition, and has swap space on the disk just in case it runs out of physical memory. I've mounted the NAND space but currently I am not using the space; I've left the default installation there in case I need it.

If you have adequate space, I'd ignore the NAND too. Using the NAND is probably best when you have a situation where you don't need any more space than the NAND provides, or you want to use an SD card entirely separately for some other purpose.

Jim