Re: Rootfs on sheevaplug without killing my sd cards / usb sticks

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 01:43:21AM +0100, Karsten König wrote:
> I ruined 1 expensive sd card and two usb flash sticks already with a basic
> debian system, even though /var is already on a seperate stick, I don't want
> to dive into it too much to find out what process is responsible.

Some SD cards ands USB sticks are really crappy.  Some are not.  The hard
part is knowing which is which.

> So how do people cope with that, in the forum there is flashhybrid mentioned,
> I will definitly use it in the next iteration, I also plan writing the rootfs
> to the NAND as I have more trust in the wear leveling of ubifs then sandisk =/
>
> Is this a bad idea? Will the NAND be dead in like half a year already when
> running a squeeze box as small time server? Any other totally different
> methods? flashhybrid looks very interesting but it's also unmaintained, a
> complete read only rootfs is sadly not really possible =( Any other method to
> reducing the writes to the systems even more?

I have used compact flash cards for debian systems, and other than using
a seperate partition for /var/log and only writing to it every 5 minutes,
I haven't made any changes to the main system.  Well /tmp is a tmpfs of
course as it ought to be.  Certainly has run for many years so far for
a lot of users without issues.  Of course compact flash may generally
be much better made than SD cards or USB sticks I suppose.

Do not use sync mount, do not use fat filesystem, turn of atime updates.

--
Len Sorensen