Rootfs on sheevaplug without killing my sd cards / usb sticks

Heya,

I ruined 1 expensive sd card and two usb flash sticks already with a basic
debian system, even though /var is already on a seperate stick, I don't want
to dive into it too much to find out what process is responsible.

So how do people cope with that, in the forum there is flashhybrid mentioned,
I will definitly use it in the next iteration, I also plan writing the rootfs
to the NAND as I have more trust in the wear leveling of ubifs then sandisk =/

Is this a bad idea? Will the NAND be dead in like half a year already when
running a squeeze box as small time server? Any other totally different
methods? flashhybrid looks very interesting but it's also unmaintained, a
complete read only rootfs is sadly not really possible =( Any other method to
reducing the writes to the systems even more?

Thanks in advance for the ideas! =)
Karsten