Re: 8.9" CT-PC89E ARM netbook .... UPDATE 04 FEB 2010 12:00

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  so, this time we play a different game: use the fact that of the 20
>> people wanting machines _fifteen_ of them are software engineers who
>> will happily help this factory to improve its value for the world
>> market by getting debian packages on it, right?
>
> That was our main argument, but they did not listen to us. After lots
> of mails and advising gpl-violations.org we got a package source
> release which we did not want as we already had our debian packages
> for the rootfs. Kernel and loader still missing bits.

 i think - i hope! - that this is different.  see new update, but it
turns out that this is a design commissioned by china telecom, and
also because it's so new they've actually asked for our help and
feedback.  it _may_ be the case that we have to go after china telecom
for the source code (which will be fuuun) if they didn't give it to
the factory.

 but if china telecom are going to be bloody awkward, stuff it: last
resort i'll do the damn reverse-engineering myself, or i'll find
people willing to help.  it's a well-known CPU, so it should be ok.

 ... heck, we could end up producing a debian image for them that ends
up as the default image! :)

 l.