Re: 8.9" CT-PC89E ARM netbook .... UPDATE 04 FEB 2010 12:00

Hi !

2010/2/4 Alejandro Mery <amery@geeks.cl>:
> been "engineering samples"... what about the UART, serial port (even 2
> pins help a lot) and jtag reachability? =)

That's an important part. :-)
Let me explain our experience. A bunch of Debian Developers met at
Taipei (.tw) and we got a netbook (MIPS based) under $100. After we
got it, we had *no shell*, *no root*, *no loader access*, *no
serial*,...

We had to exploit a vulnerability in the pdf reader order to start
telnetd and we were lucky to get a remote shell. After making some
pressure to the company to release source code because they were
violating GPL, they putted up some source packages, but not kernel
(linux), nor bootloader (uboot).

This device has really nice price, but its openness really sucks. Be
aware on what you buy, always make sure it really supports open
source.

The laptop I am talking about is http://www.g-netbook.com/GL-740I.html
I would not recommend to anyone to buy it.

In the case of ARM netbooks, I have been reading on the 'Always
innovating Touchbook' based on the beagleboard (OMAP3)
http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/index.htm

Cheers,
--
 Héctor Orón