SS4000-like device

I have a device that is similar to the Intel SS4000-E, but not exactly
the same.  Specifically, it has blank hard drives, so whatever web
interface it should have isn't present.  It does have RedBoot, and I
can boot its installed kernel/initrd, up to the point where the initrd
tries to mount the real boot devices and fails.

All the directions for installing Debian (or anything else) on ARM
start with loading a custom firmware into the machine's web interface
for firmware upgrades.  Even the directions at
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.armel/ch05s01.html#boot-firmware-ss4000e
start with that step and then move into the RedBoot interface.  I'd
like to follow those directions, but to do that, I think I need to put
a ramdisk.gz and a zImage somewhere on my drives, or something.  Where
do the files need to be for RedBoot to be able to load them?

Or, do I need to fiddle with RedBoot at all?  If I just netboot a
Debian ARM installer (where can I get one for armel IOP32x, by the
way), does the install process modify the data in RedBoot for me?  I'm
really only familiar with x86, so this whole non-MBR thing is pretty
foreign to me.