Re: Regarding Kirkwood cpu support

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 08:22 +0000, Bob Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:09:33 +0100, Martin Michlmayr (tbm@cyrius.com) wrote:
>
> > > For the record, I received a SheevaPlug yesterday and this will be my
> > > next big project.  I'll blog about it soon with some more information
> > > and thoughts.
> >
> > http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/nslu2-killer
>
> Thank you Martin.  As you say, it looks like an exciting device.
>
> With shipping charges from the US (to the UK) it costs $130, which these
> days is around 92 UK pounds, but hopefully the price will drop as suggested
> in this article:
>
> http://www.t3.com/news/marvell-sheevaplug-hides-a-computer-in-a-plug-socket?=38234
>
> and shipping charges should come down as and when it is stocked by European
> distributors.

Shipping charges are divised by two if you buy two plugs at once, so
finding another hacker nearby should help a lot :). Playing with
shipping costs to France: $31 shipping for 1 plug, $16/plug for 2,
$14/plug for 5, $9/plug for 15, $4.36/plug for 48, ask for >75 plug

I added the SheevaPlug kindly donated by Marvell to the GCC Compile Farm
which is open to all free software developpers (not limited to GCC),
instructions on how to get an account here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm

Up to now the farm was more oriented toward upstream userspace
compile/test/debug development but if there's a need for kernel
developers to be able to reboot on new kernels, access to serial
console, power cycle, etc... we can try to work out a solution.

Playing around with bzip2 -dc, the 1200 MHz kirkwood is like a 700 MHz
P3, a 500 MHz opteron (32 bits) or 400 MHz opteron (64 bits), and
genrally when compiling and running various software between two and
three time faster than the Thecus N2100 XScale-80219 running at 600 Mhz.

Laurent