Re: what creates /etc/kernel-img.conf?

* Paul Jakma <paul@jakma.org> [2009-02-03 13:03]:
> However, it does not, for the same reason that flash-kernel should
> not run by default

Well, it's the same on x86.  When you upgrade the kernel, the kernel
on disk is replaced with the new version.

> Worse, an automatic kernel-flash may require
> hardware-warranty-nullifying modifications to recover from, if one
> wishes to avoid re-installing. It /really/ requires that a user do a
> test-boot via TFTP before flashing,

I don't buy this argument for two reasons.  First, by installing
Debian on these devices you probably void your warranty anyway.
Second, if there's a way to TFTP a test-kernel without modifying the
hardware, then you can use the same mechanism to rescue your system if
an upgrade really fails.

I'm open to adding a config option to flash-kernel not to write the
kernel to flash automatically, but I think the current default makes
sense.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/