Re: what creates /etc/kernel-img.conf?

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Paul Jakma wrote:

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

I don't think it should be off by default (because most people want to have automatic security upgrades)

I see this argument, however I don't think it's a generally accepted one. If it were, then Debian would by default automatically run "apt-get upgrade/update".

s/[.]/, surely?/

Similar thing for most of the remaining full stops. ;)

However, it does not, for the same reason that flash-kernel should not run by default: It can render a box unbootable and so should require user affirmation.

Worse, an automatic kernel-flash may require hardware-warranty-nullifying modifications to recover from, if one wishes to avoid re-installing. It /really/ requires that a user do a test-boot via TFTP before flashing, IMHO (I didn't even realise I had part-bricked my box via an apt-get upgrade till much later).

I am now well-enough informed about Debian on Thecus to be able to avoid this problem, but it's not a nice experience for new users..

regards,

--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: