Re: what creates /etc/kernel-img.conf?

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

* Paul Jakma <paul@jakma.org> [2009-02-03 13:03]:
However, it does not, for the same reason that flash-kernel should
not run by default

Well, it's the same on x86.  When you upgrade the kernel, the kernel
on disk is replaced with the new version.

Indeed, and I'm not arguing that should change.

x86 however has a bootloader which be used to easily select between different installed kernels. (In the longer-run, it'd be nice to have a more capable bootloader on N2100, of course, obviating the need to flash the kernel+initrd, but that's what we have at the moment).

I don't buy this argument for two reasons. First, by installing Debian on these devices you probably void your warranty anyway.

Not the hardware warranty, as it's easy to re-flash the original firmware (regardless of the manufacturer's warranties, you may have additional, irrevocable rights under consumer legislation in your jurisdiction).

Second, if there's a way to TFTP a test-kernel without modifying the hardware, then you can use the same mechanism to rescue your system if an upgrade really fails.

This presumes you had the fore-thought to save a working kernel+initrd. If you did, you probably would have thought of changing kernel-img.conf too.

I personally tried this approach, but I could not recover the system from Debian-installer, despite spending some time on it. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get a working initrd (for the error lay in a config file used to create the initrd).

Even with a serial console, the error was not entirely obvious and took a little bit of time to pin-down.

I'm open to adding a config option to flash-kernel not to write the
kernel to flash automatically,

That would be most useful :)

but I think the current default makes sense.

If I can configure the tools to not auto-flash, this problem isn't going to affect me again.. So I guess I'll bow out.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: