Re: Etch->Lenny upgrade gone bad

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Hi Del,
>
> * Del Merritt <del@alum.mit.edu> [2009-09-23 21:53]:
>
>> I mentioned that I have a "good" Lenny slug.  I'm hoping there's a
>> clever way for me to flash its vmlinuz (and anything else from the
>> good Lenny install) to the former-Etch slug.
>>

> There is, although it remains to be seen whether it will help.

Well, as you (implicitly) predicted, that didn't help.  Since the HDD is
still quite mountable, I did an:
%  find bin boot etc initrd lib sbin sys usr -ls
in / on both machines.  I then  whipped up a little script to compare
the results, looking for common (and not) files and, when common, if the
sizes matched.  A daunting number are different or only on one or the
other.  *sigh*

So I'll copy my "important" files off of the / partition and then try
one of the "don't blow away my existing partitions" methods of a fresh
lenny install.  I had hoped to avoid this, just 'cuz, but the full
install - once I'm done with all the backups, just in case - is pretty
quick.

And I still need to turbo the beast.  So many projects; so little time.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

-Del