Re: [SheevaPlug] Order not received

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, David Given wrote:

Steve Pirk wrote:
[...]
Having never used Ubuntu/Debian for more than an hour in gui mode only,
I have to say that I did not realize how broken the install was. Mine is
up and serving it's first web site, so I am happy for the moment. It is
also acting as a dns slave zone and is accepting mail. Seems to be
faster than the toshiba laptop it is destined to replace in the future.

Hmm --- that's interesting; maybe it's just me! Did you not need the
mkdir -p /var/cache/apt/archives/partial to make apt-get work, then?

I put this comamnd into the end of rc.local so it gets created at boot time :-) Next fstab tweak will be to mount /var/cache/apt on a real disk instead of tmpfs. Looks like tmpfs gets deleted like /tmp used to on old Solaris systems. A hold over from the old unix systems that did not have a lot of disk space maybe?

My next step is to put a Debian userland on a USB drive, boot from it,
and see if I can replace the on-board filesystem. u-boot looks ideal for
playing with.

The openplug.org forums have lots of posts from people rebuilding uImage and testing booting from usb or sd mem. I have found quite a few gems there: http://openplug.org/plugforum/index.php?board=2.0

-steve