Re: [SheevaPlug] Order not received

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, David Given wrote:

David Given wrote:
[...]
It arrived yesterday. I've done a decent write-up and some benchmarks:

http://www.cowlark.com/2009-04-15-sheevaplug

Short summary: larger than you'd think, the preloaded Ubuntu is broken,
satisfyingly fast.

Awesome write-up David. Helps a lot. I called mine greenmachine :-)

Having never used Ubuntu/Debian for more than an hour in gui mode only, I have to say that I did not realize how broken the install was. Mine is up and serving it's first web site, so I am happy for the moment. It is also acting as a dns slave zone and is accepting mail. Seems to be faster than the toshiba laptop it is destined to replace in the future. Forum posts list 2 watts as the typical power consumption, so I think low power is also going to be a real selling point.

I could not get the kernel to see the usb wireless adapter, but maybe it will see a wired usb e-net adapter. That can act as eth1 for the other side of the firewall. I also thought making the second interface on chip switchable to support powerline ethernet might expand it's usefulness.

I will merge info from your article with what I have found on openplug.org and look into a better install. I think I need a dev-dev box. Would be too sad to shut the first one down to experiment.

-steve