Debian, QNAP TS-209 II and what if's and trying to understand

Hi guys,

I'm afraid that I've got some potentially nooby questions and I apologise if they've been asked before, but I've been unable to find the answers myself and I'm somewhat new to running linux on embedded systems, and I feel that I've reached my current level of mad skillz...

Would I be correct in assuming that u-boot chain loads the linux kernel directly from the hard disk(s) /boot/vmlinuz, in some way shape or form?

In that case presumably if the disk(s) that the kernel are sat on go away, the environment becomes unbootable? Assuming that's correct the method of recovery would be serial connector and then manipulating u-boot's configuration?

Finally, I assume that the only way to manipulate u-boot is directly via a console session, and that it cannot be modified from a currently running instance of Linux, on the same machine?

Cheers,
Karl