Booting a (possibly unsupported) development board

I've got a small number of KAMIO-2701 development boards manufactured by IEI, these are based on a PXA270. I'm hoping to be able to reserve at least one to help out a couple of deserving open-source compiler projects.

Unfortunately, these boards arrived with Windows CE. The manufacturer doesn't make alternative media available for download, a board with Linux (i.e. KAMIO-2702) would cost about $170 and the Linux development kit about $500. The UK distributor rubbed salt into the wound by emphasising that Linux was sold unsupported and that if I knew what was good for me I'd use Windows.

Windows CE, or in principle Linux, boots from a 128Mb CF device. Looking at the CE one I can see a PC-like boot sector with partition table and a FAT-16 filesystem, fdisk warns me that this does not extend to the end of the disc. The filesystem contains a plausible boot sector identified as "Microsoft Windows CE BIOS Bootloader" which appears to want to transfer control to a file called "bldr" in the root directory where there is also a boot.ini.

If I try booting a CF device prepared for an NSLU2 ("Slug") the on-board loader identifies itself as "Microsoft Windows CE Ethernet Bootloader [...] ICPEMS WinCE Bootloader 1.7 for the HMI270" (build dates chopped out of that) but fails with "Invalid MBR signature 0". Looking at the boot sectors suggests that the code immediately preceding the boot sector is rather simpler than that originally supplied and the filesystem boot sector is blank.

Can anybody tell me what I need to make the disc and filesystem bootable? Allowing that the on-board boot code looks very PC-like does ARM have something directly equivalent to PC-linux LILO or SILO for the SPARC, or is the only option to configure U-Boot or RedBoot and flash it onto the board?

I've done limited time on ARM but am not without experience on other platforms. I don't mind building kernels or fiddling around with dd, I don't have JTAG capability at present.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk