Re: install dpkg into arm board

Really we need to start with chroot method, but i dont know howfar it will stable for a embedded device.
One more thing, how to create a chroot image in a host machine, is that i have to install a debian in desktop host PC.Can you give me some documentation link regarding this.
 As we already having our platform running in a freescale linux from LTIB, we are trying to port the target with the debian file system to support some packages for our device. whether we can port with already existing linux or else we can remove it to port complete debian in it.
whether we have to do any driver modification if we go for chroot method.
we are really struggling to where we have to start still....

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 12:46:52AM -0700, augsiva wrote:
>    Is this thread alive , if so can you help in porting debian in IMX31, we
> have a board running linux in it with minimal package , but we need to
> install some debian packages supporting arm platform.So, we planned to port
> debian in it. Can i use the same bootloader for the debian also and can you
> explain in detail about how to develop debootstrap to generate a new
> rootfilesystem with debian in our IMX31 platform. please point me in correct
> direction to proceed.

Use whatever bootloader the system has.  You should be able to use
debootstrap on the system, as long as you can get a few binaries onto
the system that it needs (I think wget and a couple of others are
needed, and probably perl).

One method would be to create the base of the chroot using a debian
system (like your PC) and do:

debootstrap --verbose --arch armel --foreign sid /mnt/targetdrive/newroot http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

Then boot the system on an arm, and use chroot to finish the setup
chroot /newroot /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage

There are lots of ways to use debootstrap, either running it all on the
target, or running part on a different host, and just the second stage
on the target.  It might even be possible to run the second stage in
qemu and have a completely ready rootfs to mount from whatever kernel
you already have for the system.

--
Len Sorensen