Re: ext3/ext2 kernel bug with umlauts?

Hello,
today in the morning I had the following strange problem.
The slug was off in the night, because I am still in testing time.
The system booted fine, but then the hard drive at disk-1 with
debian armel on it started some strange sound, like spinning up
in six or 7 intervals, after that silence for some seconds, then
again spinning up, then again silence and so on.
Ping to the slug was possible, but no ssh login and no access
to lighttpd or dovecot. Also the power off button did no shut
down the system like configured, it only interrupted the strange
sound of the disk.
So I turned off the slug, made e2fsck on both partitions I have,
and repaired the following (and some other issues):

Problem in HTREE Verzeichnis Inode 21496454: node (1) has bad max hash
Problem in HTREE Verzeichnis Inode 21496454: node (2) has bad min hash
Invalid HTREE Verzeichnis Inode 21496454 (/snapshot/full-2008-08-19T18:51:59+0200/home/glockenstein/daten/Word/post.new).

Interesting this is the directory I created, after changing the hashing from
TEA to HALF_MD4. But the partition is mounted as ext2 for now, because
the umlaut problem still exists. File system check yesterday was still
okay and I think I did no changes to the partition yesterday.

So I ask me: did anyone observe this strange behaviour of a hard
drive before with debian armel?
Can it be, that is has to do with the hashing thing?
Any thoughts are welcome.
Regards Michael
P.S. The slug works fine now again and I found nothing in the logs.