Re: architecture: all but ... (please add armel to architecture list)

Thansk all for the comments.

Since this is good info, I made a wiki page

  http://wiki.debian.org/PackageArchitectureAlmostAny

based on the discussion here.

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 05:35:10PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:

> > 4) wanna-build state dep-wait
> >
> > 	One option would be to put gsynaptics to dep-wait on
> > 	xfree86-driver-synaptics. Thus buildd would not try to build
> > 	it unless xfree86-driver-synaptics becomes some day available
> > 	on s390. While X on s390 might seem unlikely, stranger things
> > 	have happened.
>
> Perfectly reasonable IMHO.

Is this what the conclusion is?

> > 5) packages-arch-specific [2]
> >
> > 	p-a-s makes package never appear in wanna-build. It will
> > 	never by tried to be built on architectures defined there.
> > 	It' maintained by three people who manually update it.
> > 	Any technical advantage this approarch has over n-f-u
> > 	is completly negated by the fact the people who are supposed
> > 	to update it ignore my requests to update it...
>
> It is also not being built on other suites then the one were it
> sometimes is meant not to build anymore...
>
> Some updates go quickly, others take time, I guess that's because there
> are only a few persons who can update it...
>
> > 6) type-handling
> >
> > 	This is a kludge that has been written to workaround problems
> > 	in rest of the architecture selection system. In practice it
> > 	seems to work very well.
> >
> > 	Osamu, for short term, I suggest using type-handling to generate
> > 	architecture strings.
>
> I guess one can see this as a dynamic case of 1) and 2)?

Is this alternative generic solution?

I am a bit confused.

If people finalize this on wiki page, I will appreciate.

Osamu