Re: debian-arm on omap3

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 5:13 AM, Amit Pundir <pundiramit@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
> I have been assigned a task to port gnome-desktop on omap3evm i.e. to
> bring up omap3-evm LCD with a running Gnome Desktop like GUI, similar
> to what I got on my X86-Desktop.
> I have been lookin around for possible solutions and even started to
> build my own from scratch untill I been redirected to this list for
> debian-arm distribution which looks quiet promising.
> It would be great if someone can help me in answering my following concerns:
> Is there any pre-build solution available for omap/arm platform which
> I can download and check?
> How much pain will it take to build certain packets on top of it or to
> customize the kernel/package needs? As of now X11 and Gnome-desktop
> are must for me.
> Lastly, did anyone tested it on omap3-evm(ARM Cortex A8) or any other OMAP?
> Thanks for your concern.
> Regards
> Amit Pundir

Hi Amit,

Take a look at these two wiki's for the TI Beagleboard (Omap3530) that
i've written.

You'll notice a nice speed bump with Mojo's 8.04 release (armv5 &
armv6), otherwise both will load gnome via. apt-get install xorg gdm
gnome.  and tweak /etc/X11/xorg.conf for "fbdev" ;)  (it's a little
slow with debian (armv4) but it does work, this will change when ti
release their 2d/3d drivers)

Since you'll be more working on the gnome/x11 aspect, stick with the
2.6.27 release (oer4) (i've seen weird graphics issues at the higher
resolutions with 2.6.28-rc's)  The kernel's listed on those wiki's are
tuned for the beagleboard, i don't have an omap3-evm to test with.
But they are both based off this git reference (which just happens to
be down at this exact moment)  (the linux-omap.bb will list generic
patches for all omap platforms, with specific patches for
omap-evm/beagle etc.  i just happened to build the beagle target.)

Robert Nelson