Re: Problems compiling 2.6.26 kernel package on NSLU2 (Slug)

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 18:47, JLB <j@twu.net> wrote:

> If ticking a box to compile a module will cause the kernel compile to puke,
> why is the option even made available? (Shouldn't there be some kind of
> warning, like 'choosing to compile this module may break your kernel
> compile'? ;) )

The problem you've encountered is a Debian kernel specific build
issue. The Debian kernel build system ensures that the ABI does not
change unless you really want it to change. This feature is present to
help Debian kernel maintainers. The configuration system doesn't know
about the Debian kernel build system, so it can't issue a warning like
the one you are suggesting.

> More seriously, is there any way of telling which symbols changed the ABI?
> Are there any likely contenders in that list? This is all greek to me; the
> only thing that comes to mind when I hear 'binary interface' is 'ELF, or in
> the olden days a.out', and I certainly didn't disable ELF or tell it to
> compile in a.out......

The easiest way to build a kernel with a new ABI is to remove the
files in debian/abi/2.6.26-1.

Gordon

--
Gordon Farquharson