Re: Debain arm on a nokia N800

Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:04:58 -0400, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>

>> Hendrik Boom wrote:

>>> So it looks as if the first thing I have to do is upgrade to OS2008
>>> (chinook)  Or to diablo.  Is diablo stable enough for an end-user yet?
>>> (Yes, in adition to wanting to get to where I can hack the machine, I
>>> also have to be able to use it as an end-user at any time throuh the
>>> process)
>>>
>>> Presumably I'll still have to get to be root first.  Unless I can reflash
>>> to OS2008 witout gaining root.  I'll still have to back up my contacts,
>>> my calendar, and my sketches first (that's the relevant state I have at
>>> this point), hoping their file formats will be consistent before and
>>> after the upgrade.
>>>
>>> What's the recommended way to back all this up so it'll be restorable in
>>> OS2008?  My bora-made backups have to be restorable on OS2008.  I heard
>>> that at one time, the backup tools provided wouldn't restore properly.
>>>

>> I've been running diablo for at least 3 months now. It's stable for me.
>> chinook was also stable and I ran that on my N800 for 6 months before
>> upgrading to diablo. The browser switched form opera in OS2006 to a
>> firefox-based on in OS2008 and above. The web browsing is a little
>> different.
>>
>> You can reflash the tablet WITHOUT needing root on the tablet. You only
>> need root/admin on the PC/MAC that you are flashing with. You will need
>> the wifi address of your table in order to download the firmware image.
>>
>> I don't recall how well the system backup tool works when upgrading, so
>> I recommend that you perform three backups, using the following method:
>> 1. Use the system backup tool to backup to an SD card.
>>

> It backed up nicely.
>

>> 2. open a terminal and use the built-in tar utility to backup /home/user
>> to an tarball on the SD card
>>

> So did this.
>

>> 3. open the file manager and copy/move the Nokia N8X0 folder which
>> contains "Documents", "Images", etc to an SD card.
>>

> The file manager only displayed the subfolder, and I couldn't find a way
> to copy anything.
>

>> I do recall one glitch when upgrading. I had to pair my bluetooth
>> keyboard before restoring from backup. There was some bluetooth config
>> file in the backup that didn't work right.
>>

> No bluetooth jeyboard, so no problem here.
>
> The upgrade went smoothly.  There was a glitch (it lost contact partway
> through the reflash), and I only got a partial upgrade, and it rebooted
> endlessly, but taking the battery out and putting it in agin stopped that.
>  The next time I flashed it, everything worked.
>

>> After upgrading, try to restore the system backup.
>>

> The system backup did a fine restore.  It warned me that the new system
> had a few files that were newer than the backup -- did I really want to
> replace them? I said no.
>

>> If that fails,
>> restore from the other two methods. Settings like wifi hotspots are lost
> [...]
I'm glad that the restore and upgrade went well for you. SDHC cards are
fine for the N8X0 tablets. I have a 4GB card in my N800. Others have
8GB. higher capacities should be fine.

I forgot to mention that one guy had a full debian arm distro running
under chroot in ITOS. I don't have the link, but thought that might
interest you.

Check back here or the maemo lists when you try to boot from the SD card.

Jason