Re: Debain arm on a nokia N800

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:27:12 -0400, Jason Edgecombe wrote:

> Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 May 2007 17:55:56 +0200, Detlef Schmicker wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> some months ago I posted on maemo (the platform used for the Nokia
>>> N800) mailinglist about my attemps to run DEBIAN-ARM on this platform.
>>>

>> I'd certainly be interested in informatin about getting armel on my
>> m800.  There seems to be progress in compiling a kernel and setting p a
>> reasonable initial file system, but it's not clear what I have to do to
>> enable the n800 to actually boot from it.
>>
>> I think I'm looking for instructions that are more end-user-friendly
>> than the ones in
>>

>>> http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2007-February/008480.html
>>>

>> I really don't know how to make my n800 boot differently, nor how to
>> get it back the way it was if things go horribly wrong.  But having
>> Debian instead of maemo will, I suspect, make life easier -- at least
>> finding packages to install and using gcc and the like.
>>

>>> (setup 2 and 3 are of interest here)
>>>
>>> I had quite low feedback. Maybe on debian-arm mailinglist there is
>>> more interest in this "port".
>>>

>> It's on the debian-arm mailing list that I found your post, now over a
>> year old.
>>

> Here is how to boot the Nokia tablets from an SD card:
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Booting_from_a_flash_card

Let me tell you what happened when I started to do this.   It may also
make it clear what I mean by not end-user-friendly.  It's not as if I am
the kind of end-user that only knows how to enter entries into
spreadsheets, either.

First, it refers me to http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access, where it tells
me to first enable extras http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras.

When I attempt to

: Go into the Application manager.
: Tap the menu -> Tools -> Application catalog...
:  Double-tap maemo Extras.

I follow Tools->Application manager
I open its menu and follow ->Tools->Application catalogue...
I get a scrollable list which does not contain maemo Extras.

It does contain Debian Nokia Repository; when I ask for Details I'm told

   web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extra
   Components: free nonfree
   Disables: empty square

There's also Nokia Research Centre Cambridge:

  Web address: http://repository.mccc.nokialab.com
  Comnponents: extras
  Disabled: empty square

and a number of others that don't seem to mention 'extras' at all.
Here's my complete list:

  Nokia Catalogue
  Nokia Catalogue (3rd party software)
  GPE main
  The Battle for Wesnoth - 1st mirror
  Debian Nokia repository
  maemo-hackers
  maemo                      <- this entry claims to be for
                                distribution mistral.  all the
                                others seem to be for bora.
  Maemo Applications
  Maemo 3.0
  Nokia Research Centre Cambridge
  Gene Cash&#039;s Python scripts
  OpenedHand Prebuilt Maemo Packages

Which one should I use for this?  I'm currently running the factory-
installed OS2007.

 * * *

When, from the page http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras I attempt to follow the
instruction

"To enable Extras repository, just open this link on your tablet."

I get redirected to a web page http://www.theedge.com/

When I attempt to open *this link* I get redirected to a web page
advertising The Edge, which seems to be some kind of magazine.

Did I screw up somewhere?

* * *

Nevertheless, I discover I did have an openssh installed.  I start an
xterm, and type in

   ssh root@localhost

and it says,

   ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused

   ssh localhost -l root

does no different.

Evidently I have the wrong ssh -- since I don't remember ever having to
choose a password during any installation I've ever done on this system.
And I never got to the point of being asked for a password.

The ssh I have is listed by the application manager as

openssh          1:4.7p1-2.maemo2    8 kB
openssh-client   1:4.7p1-2.maemo2  1.1 MB
openssh-server   1:4.6p1-5.maemo3  0.4 MB

-- hendrik