Re: Debain arm on a nokia N800

Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 17:55:56 +0200, Detlef Schmicker wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> some months ago I posted on maemo (the platform used for the Nokia N800)
>> mailinglist about my attemps to run DEBIAN-ARM on this platform.
>>

> I'd certainly be interested in informatin about getting armel on my
> m800.  There seems to be progress in compiling a kernel and setting p a
> reasonable initial file system, but it's not clear what I have to do to
> enable the n800 to actually boot from it.
>
> I think I'm looking for instructions that are more end-user-friendly than
> the ones in
>

>> http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2007-February/008480.html
>>

> I really don't know how to make my n800 boot differently, nor how to get
> it back the way it was if things go horribly wrong.  But having Debian
> instead of maemo will, I suspect, make life easier -- at least finding
> packages to install and using gcc and the like.
>

>> (setup 2 and 3 are of interest here)
>>
>> I had quite low feedback. Maybe on debian-arm mailinglist there is more
>> interest in this "port".
>>

> It's on the debian-arm mailing list that I found your post, now over a
> year old.

Here is how to boot the Nokia tablets from an SD card:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Booting_from_a_flash_card

The tools have you install bootloader tools that give you options of
booting different kernels.

If you screw up, you just have to reflash your tablet to restore it to
working order.

Have you looked into mamona at http://dev.openbossa.org/trac/mamona/ ?
It's an ARM distro.

There has been a couple of messages on the maemo lists about getting
mamona on the tablets. I think the biggest stumbling blocks are a couple
of closed-source drivers, but there is good news. Just this week,
someone announced an alpha quality open source driver for the N810.
Hopefully this will help non-maemo distros to better flourish on the
tablets.

Jason