Re: bootloader & kernel on Nokia N810

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:11 PM, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008.05.11, 132, Riku Voipio wrote:
>> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 02:30:49PM -0500, green wrote:
>> > wondering: is it possible to somehow get output from the kernel instead of only
>> > "NOKIA"?  Especially without using serial access because I can't find the
>> > serial output that the N810 supposedly has.
>>
>> There is a serial port, but it's hard to access physically without specific
>> hardware (service jig)
>
> Yeah, I know (so I'd rather not use it), but I actually can't find on my N810
> anything like the picture here:
> http://maemo.org/community/wiki/Flasher_tool_usage/#031184d5781881e1776a23d9f597cb81
>
>> > I have used these kernel sources:
>> >  maemo 2008 kernel
>> >   http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.0.1/free/k/kernel-source-rx-34/
>>
>> This one builds and boots fine following the instructions from:
>> http://maemo.org/development/documentation/how-tos/4-x/kernel_guide_for_maemo.html
>
> I've followed those instructions, except that I didn't use scratchbox.  I got
> these files:
> kernel-source-rx-34_2.6.21.0.orig.tar.bz2
> kernel-source-rx-34_2.6.21.0-osso71.diff
>
> And compiled the kernel in the Debian armel chroot using "make zImage" and the
> attached config.
>
>> What compiler did you use to build the kernel?
>
> Installed are:
> gcc-4.3 4.3.0-3
> gcc-4.2 4.2.3-4
>
> It looks like I'm using gcc-4.3.  I see that version 4.3.0-4 is available; I'll
> upgrade it soon.

Are you sure you are using a cross compiler for ARM (e.g. those from
Emdebian or from Code Sourcery) and not a native compiler?

AFAIK, the NOKIA logo does not say anything whether the kernel is
booting, it comes from the bootloader. And its probably rebooting
because a hardware watchdog is being triggered due to a buggy kernel.

Regards,
--
Anderson Lizardo
Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia (INdT)