Re: kernel 2.6.24-1 in lenny, safe to upgrade?

On 28 Mar 2008, at 20:29, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
Hi Joachim

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Joachim Beckers
<joachim.beckers@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Much needed as my slug wouldn't come up after
the upgrade.

Does it check its hard drives after such an upgrade? It seems like the
bootlog is completely normal (network comes up btw) but the leds were
off except for the top one that was blinking (two times orange, then
green). There was a lot of disk activity, and I let it do its thing
for a while but then decided that the upgrade probably had failed.
Couldn't ping it or ssh into it.

The upgrade shouldn't trigger a partition check (fsck). fscks are
usually run every 30 times the drive is mounted, so it is possible
that a disk check may have been coincidental. The network access would
come up after a partition check so it makes sense that if it was
running fsck, you would not have been able to ping or ssh to the
NSLU2.

I'm guessing it was a coincidental fsck too. After fscking the root usb stick on my laptop, the slug boots normally, but still with no networking (the led is off, I cannot ping it).

I'll see if I can get into the thing with a usb-to-ethernet adaptor.

I'll try the kernel on a clean installation of lenny this evening to
see if I can reproduce the problem, and let you know what I find.

Ok, great.

Joachim