Re: kernel 2.6.24-1 in lenny, safe to upgrade?

Hi Joachim

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Joachim Beckers
<joachim.beckers@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Thanks for the advice. Much needed as my slug wouldn't come up after
>  the upgrade.
>
>  Does it check its hard drives after such an upgrade? It seems like the
>  bootlog is completely normal (network comes up btw) but the leds were
>  off except for the top one that was blinking (two times orange, then
>  green). There was a lot of disk activity, and I let it do its thing
>  for a while but then decided that the upgrade probably had failed.
>  Couldn't ping it or ssh into it.

The upgrade shouldn't trigger a partition check (fsck). fscks are
usually run every 30 times the drive is mounted, so it is possible
that a disk check may have been coincidental. The network access would
come up after a partition check so it makes sense that if it was
running fsck, you would not have been able to ping or ssh to the
NSLU2.

I'll try the kernel on a clean installation of lenny this evening to
see if I can reproduce the problem, and let you know what I find.

Gordon

--
Gordon Farquharson
GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676