Re: kernel 2.6.24-1 in lenny, safe to upgrade?

Hi Joachim

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Joachim Beckers
<joachim.beckers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  While looking at the updates for my NSLU2 running debian lenny just a
>  few minutes ago, I noticed that kernel 2.6.24-1 is available.
>  According to the changelog, this does not have the network driver
>  autoloading fix yet. Or does it? In other words: is it safe to upgrade?

Source version 2.6.24-3 includes the change required to load the
network driver automatically. The new binary version is built from
2.6.24-5 so it should work.

If you want, you can always backup the flash with

> sudo cat /dev/mtdblock* > backup.img

and then copy this flash to your PC. If anything goes wrong with the
upgrade, you can then use upslug2 [1] to reflash the NSLU2 the image
stored in backup.img. To do this, you would

1. Put the NSLU2 into upgrade mode [2].
2. On the PC run 'upslug2 -i backup.img'

Gordon

[1] http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2
[2] http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

--