Re: Task list for Debian on the QNAP Turbostation

(Please CC me, I'm not subscribed.)

Sorry about the late reply to this mail. I've been busy helping with the D-I
release first and after that concentrated first on getting my TS-109
running (helped by Martin privately on IRC).

On Sunday 09 March 2008, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
>  - Set the MAC address: the QNAP devices have a bogus MAC address
>    in the u-boot config and the real MAC address is stored in a
>    file on a flash partition with ext2.

I understand from Martin that the current status is to see if a kernel patch
that reads the address will be acceptable to upstream.

>  - Set some initramfs-tools settings: I think that the default
>    of MODULES=most is not appropriate for NAS devices.  We should
>    probably use MODULES=dep on the QNAP; we need a way to easily
>    change setting based on the device you're running.  Frans, can
>    you look into this?

Turns out this is already possible without modifying the i-t conffile by
dropping a file with MODULES=dep and suitable comments into
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d. This will overrule the default in the main
conffile.

One issue is that this could be confusing to users as they'll still see
MODULES=most in the main conffile. It's documented in the man page, but
maybe a note should be added in the conffile too that its settings can be
overruled.

>  - Package piccontrol: this is used to control the LED and fan.
>    See http://qnap.nas-central.org/index.php/PIC_Control_Software

Initial version available at http://people.debian.org/~fjp/piccontrol/.

Although it does work, the tool still looks very much in alfa state.
I will write a separate mail to the author with some questions/suggestions.
Depending on the answers, the udeb may need a wrapper script for changing
leds and sounding the buzzer.

A review of my packaging would be appreciated.

Cheers,
FJP