Re: Task list for Debian on the QNAP Turbostation

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> - Set the MAC address: the QNAP devices have a bogus MAC address
>   in the u-boot config and the real MAC address is stored in a
>   file on a flash partition with ext2.
[...]
> Unfortunately, there's apparently no command to do that [...]

Looks like u-boot includes a command to manipulate the environment.
$ git clone git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot.git
$ cd u-boot/tools/env

It also shows that the first characters on the device holding the
environment are probably a crc32 checksum.

Seems to me that this could be a cleaner solution than the current
kernel patch.

However, someone else will need to figure out how to configure and
build that. I'm afraid it's over my head.

Cheers,
FJP

(Please CC me on replies.)