Re: Some thoughts on the ARM build daemons

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 07:51:49PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > > How much faster is the fastest available ARM CPU compared to toffee?
> >
> > As in, the fastest ARM CPU that exists in the world?  As far as
> > I know, that would be the 1.2 GHz Intel IOP342 (dual core.)
>
> Any reason why we cannot just buy two of these things, beef them up
> with a lot of RAM, and set them up in different parts of the world?
> It is not like the ARM platform is not an important one: it is being
> used everywhere, and a lot of embedded work is done with it.

Well, as said elsewhere in this thread, Bill Gatliff provided a 600 MHz
ARM box to the Debian project for use as a buildd over half a year ago,
but nothing has happened with that machine so far -- which is one of
the reasons why I've said many times now that I don't think the hardware
is the biggest problem that the Debian ARM port is facing.

I don't think that finding ARM silicon vendors willing to donate lots
of contemporary ARM hardware to Debian would be very hard.

(I also don't think that finding ARM silicon vendors willing to donate
some man-power to the Debian ARM port would be very hard, either.)

cheers,
Lennert