Re: How can I mount a USB harddrive to Debian4.0r0/NSLU2

factin wrote:
> I did those.
>
> fdisk /dev/sdb           the USB hdd into 2 partitions,
> mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1        to format the 2nd partition of HDD into ext3
> mke2fs -j /dev/sdb2        to format the 1st partition of HDD into ext3
> mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /media/usb2      to mount the 2nd partition of HDD
> mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /media/usb3      to mount the 1st partition of
> HDD( I name it 1st as it start from the 1st cyclind)
> nano /etc/fstab
>  to add the last line manually "/dev/sdb2       /media/usb3     auto
> rw,user,noauto  0       0"

I've copied the list address back in, as someone here might provide
better advice/suggestions than me. (A little strange that sdb1 is the
second partition on the hard disk, and sdb2 is the first but I'll try
and not get confused)

> I don't know if this fstab is OK, sda5 is the second partition of
> flashdrive, used as swap. why the /dev/sda5  use /media/usb1 mount
> point, it is in the same flashdrive as /dev/sda1, and attach to the same
> USB port, should they use the  same mount point?

I 'm not sure why /dev/sda5 is mounted at /media/usb1 - but I've got the
same entry on my slug. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as the option
is set to noauto, so it's not going to be mounted there (I would guess
this is used by the debian installer)

> Both ext3 partitions of HDD are already mounted. But the disk 2 LED is
> still off.

Is the USB hard disk plugged into a USB hub and then connected to the
slug? If so, this is why the lights on the LED are not lit the way you
expect.

> While the disk1 LED is always on, the flashdrive is attached there. By
> this instruction, the disk 2 LED should be on.  Is there sth wrong?
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-nslu2-utils/trunk/debian/README.Debian?op=file
>
> My current fstab is

> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/sda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> /dev/sda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/sda1       /media/usb0     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/sda5       /media/usb1     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/sdb1       /media/usb2     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/sdb2       /media/usb3     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

you've created the two partitions on sdb and are currently mounting them
at /media/usb2 and /media/usb3. I would set the 0 at the end of each
mount line to 1, and also change the options to
defaults,errors=remount-ro which will mount the partitions at startup.
You might also want to think about where to mount the partitions... e.g.
/home tends to be quite popular :-)

Jon