Re: Two questions about installing Debian on a Thecus 2100 (-a-like)

* John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk> [2007-12-13 16:43]:
>> http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/armel/images/daily/iop32x/netboot/n2100.bin
> disc OK, but then partman exits part way through starting up.  It gets as
> far as 58% in its startup progress bar and just exits.

I assume you used the URL above to install, rather the official
image of Debian stable?  The image above is an unstable image from
July and given the recent changes in d-i I wouldn't be surprised it's
no longer working...

armel guys, can you please stop pimping your daily images to everyone.
John didn't actually ask for armel images, did he?

John: there are two ports of Debian for ARM: the arm port, which is a
well established and supported port, and for which images are
available of Debian stable (etch).  They are known to work.  Then
there's armel, the future of Linux on ARM, which is still in
development, and not advised for users unless they really need armel
(it offers better FP speed than the old arm port).

> Partition table: no
> /bin/partman: IN: QUIT
> parted_server: Read command: QUIT
> parted_server: Quitting

I'm not too fimilar with partman but can you send this log to
debian-boot@lists.debian.org  Frans Pop made some major changes to
partman recently (i.e. in the last few days) so it's possible that
something broke. (Yes, I said before that the image you used is from
July but partman is being pulled in via the net from a mirror.)

> and the syslog file contains:
>
> Dec 13 16:39:58 kernel: program partmap is using a deprecated SCSI
> ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO

This is "normal" - it's not the cause of the problem.

Anyway, assuming you upgraded RedBoot before trying to install Debian,
you can use the instructions from
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/iop/n2100/telnet.html to load the
installer image of Debian stable (etch) of arm.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/