Re: Two questions about installing Debian on a Thecus 2100 (-a-like)

* John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk> [2007-12-13 14:13]:
> As I understand it, you select expert mode (or set the message
> priority to low) and then give the name of the right kernel to
> install at the relevant point, but I can't find documented anywhere
> what the name of the right kernel is.  Can anyone tell me?

2.6.18-5-iop32x

> If you get it wrong at this point do you have a brick, or is there a
> recovery route?

If you get it wrong at this point, debian-installer will still be in
flash so you can start all over.

> I currently have access to the box by way of the ssh backdoor.  Am I
> right in thinking that once I've upgraded to the current Thecus
> firmware I'll lose this back door?  Is there any other way in then?

I'm not too familiar with the Thecus firmware, but I believe you're
right.  There should be a module available for SSH access, though.
Have you checked http://onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/N2100_Resources

Anyway, why do care about this anyway?  You could just upgrade to the
latest firmware right before installing Debian, and Debian will remove
the original Thecus firmware from flash anyway, so it doesn't matter
whether it supports SSH or not. :)
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/