Re: Two questions about installing Debian on a Thecus 2100 (-a-like)

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
* John Winters <john@sinodun.org.uk> [2007-12-13 16:43]:
http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/armel/images/daily/iop32x/netboot/n2100.bin
disc OK, but then partman exits part way through starting up. It gets as far as 58% in its startup progress bar and just exits.
[snip]
Anyway, assuming you upgraded RedBoot before trying to install Debian,
you can use the instructions from
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/iop/n2100/telnet.html to load the
installer image of Debian stable (etch) of arm.

I did - or at least I upgraded the Thecus firmware to 2.1.05 which I believe does that job.

Thank you for your very complete replies. I believe what I need to do now is:

1) Unpack the Thecus firmware (done that)
2) Interrupt redboot with telnet
3) Suck a couple of files over with tftp
4) Boot into the Thecus firmware
5) Do an upgrade again, but this time with the official installer image

I'm assuming I don't actually need to flash the Thecus firmware in again?

How does one actually tell the installer to switch into expert mode? There didn't seem to be an option with the el installer - although of course it did it once partman had failed.

Thanks again for your help.

John