Re: NSLU2 Debian Etch 4.0 manual install orange led

In article <[🔎] 39e348480711161634i1098a45dseab365ffadb295f1@mail.gmail.com>,
GoatZilla <goatzilla@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Could you go into more details about this hardware clock resetting? Can
>> it be performed right during first install in a soft(ware) manner?
>>
>> thx
>>
>> OH
>>

> Well, when I looked at it, my hardware clock appeared to be stuck -- I
> had to take the battery out for a few minutes, then went back in and
> set the clock with the Unslung firmware.  After that everything was
> relatively happy.

There is a section in
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/TroubleShooting which mentions
this problem:

"Long Startup Time (hwclock):  An excessively long start up time (20
min) may be an indication that the hwclock cant be set. Try to set the
hwclock in your command prompt with

$ sudo hwclock  --systohc

If this doesn't work you could try to change the NSLU2 battery."

I had this same problem once.  My fix was to remove the battery,
short-circuit across the battery holder contacts for a few seconds to
discharge any capacitors and then just replace the original battery.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK  http://pippin.co.uk
Registered as user #445000 with the Linux Counter  http://counter.li.org