Re: installing dpkg

On 2007-10-19 10:45 +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Inuk You <i-yu@melcoinc.co.jp> [2007-10-19 10:21]:
> > What I'm trying to do is using dpkg in my system which is not debian. But I
> > don't want to make the system be debian because should maintain the current
> > system.
> > I just wish to use 'apt' with unchanging the system.
> > If what I'm trying to do is not a good idea, anything else?
>
> Yeah, I don't think it's a good idea.  Once you get dpkg to work, you
> will run into lots of other problems because of dependencies.  e.g.
> most .deb packages depend on glibc and even though I'm sure you have
> libc on your system, dpkg/apt will not know about it since you didn't
> install a .deb package of glibc.

Martin's advice is good - doing it this way will be a major pain at
best, but if you did want to persevere then you need to know that it
is possible to work round this problem to some extent by using the
equivs package to make fake dependencies. You will need to make an
awful lot of them on a full system though.

Both the dpkg -x and chroot options are better (a chroot may not be
what you want to achieve...)

> If you want to keep your current system but also install .deb
> packages, I recommend one of the following:
>  - don't install .deb packages with dpkg, but simply use dpkg to
>    extract the contents of the .deb (dpkg -x)
>  - create a Debian chroot on your system, i.e. you would keep your
>    current system but you'd also have Debian in a self-contained
>    environment (the chroot).  You can use debootstrap to create such
>    an environment or you could simply download a tar ball of Debian,
>    extract that somewhere on your filesystem and then enter it with
>    "chroot".  If you want to do this, you can use the tar ball from
>    http://people.debian.org/~tbm/nslu2/etch/base.tar.bz2

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/