Re: installing dpkg

* Inuk You <i-yu@melcoinc.co.jp> [2007-10-18 11:35]:
> I got the following error:
>
> dpkg: failed to open package info file `/usr/local/var/dpkg/status' for
> reading: No such file or directory
>
> There is currently no packaging tool like apt in the system.
> I installed dpkg from source codes and it's not debian nor any distro.

I guess the real question is what you're trying to do.  If you want to
extract the contents of a .deb archive but you're not actually
interested in using dpkg for your system, you could simply use dpkg -x.
If you wish to use dpkg, you could probably just create an empty
status file to get started - but the real question in this case is why
you're not starting with a Debian base.

> Please advise me, anyone who's ever ported debian to ARM linux.

Yes, Debian fully supports ARM.

What are you trying to do exactly, and which ARM platform are you on?
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/