Re: installing dpkg

* Inuk You <i-yu@melcoinc.co.jp> [2007-10-18 11:35]:
> I got the following error:
> dpkg: failed to open package info file `/usr/local/var/dpkg/status' for
> reading: No such file or directory
> There is currently no packaging tool like apt in the system.
> I installed dpkg from source codes and it's not debian nor any distro.

I guess the real question is what you're trying to do.  If you want to
extract the contents of a .deb archive but you're not actually
interested in using dpkg for your system, you could simply use dpkg -x.
If you wish to use dpkg, you could probably just create an empty
status file to get started - but the real question in this case is why
you're not starting with a Debian base.

> Please advise me, anyone who's ever ported debian to ARM linux.

Yes, Debian fully supports ARM.

What are you trying to do exactly, and which ARM platform are you on?
Martin Michlmayr