Re: Debian on Thecus N2100

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 10:42:43AM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to order a re-badged N2100 for use as a home NAS, and have a
> few questions about getting Debian onto it.
>
> I see that 4.0r1 is broken, is it best to install r0 or are there
> installer images with the fixed kernel on?  I could try installing Sid,
> but I'd prefer something known to work. :)

The installer needs to download a few things during the installation,
and it's these 'few things' that are broken. There is a workaround
procedure that you can use (see the list archives), which involves
getting the installer into expert mode.

> I've never done software RAID before, so I'm being cautious.  Is it
> fairly simple with the Debian installer to setup a 4G /, 1G swap, and
> the rest as /home, all on RAID-1?  Would I need a separate /boot, or is
> the initramfs in the flash sufficient?

Software-RAID on Linux exports just one partition (unless you create
multiple RAID devices). What you want is very easy with LVM, however.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22