Re: reinstall etch

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 09:02:11PM -0600, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
> Hi Marc
>
> On 6/26/07, Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> wrote:
> >On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 08:07:56AM -0600, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
> >> http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/files/sda1-2.6.18.dfsg.1-12.bin
> >>
> >> to revive the system.
> >>
> >> Gordon
> >
> >This may answer another question that I have.  If I want to replace
> >one slug with another and use an existing root filesystem, It is
> >sufficient to use the image linked above?
>
> It should work, assuming that the 2.6.18.dsfg.1-12 modules exist in
> your root file system. Alternately, you could use the current image in
> the flash of the slug you want to replace, i.e. on that slug do,
>
> $ cat /dev/mtdblock* > current-image.bin
>
> and then write current-image.bin to the new slug using upslug2. 'cat
> /dev/mtdblock* > file' is how the image referenced above was created.

Good point.  The real issue for me is this:

  is there a good way to guarantee a simple method for moving to a new
  machine.

With a normal Debian install, it ought to be OK to move a disk from
one machine to another.  This isn't really the case here.  Your
solution is an approximation of that.  However, there may be a case
where the SLUG has failed or is lost and I'd rather not have to go
through an install to make another to take its place.

Cheers.