NSLU2 (Slug) fails to boot with second drive connected

I am having an issue with my recently hacked Slug.  I have Debian
running on on the slug and all is well with Samba setup and getting in
via SSH when I have my OS disk in port 1.  I have a second disk that I
recently put on port 2 and now when I boot up the unit it hangs at
some point in the boot sequence prior to SSH so I cant get in to see
whats up.

If I connect the second drive after the unit comes up I can mount the
drive fine and use it as a samba share on XP with no issue what so
ever.

How can I configure the slug to boot with this second disk in port 2?