Re: Is armel project alive?

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 05:48:55PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> > Thanks for your work on this.  I hope we'll have a more
> > officially supported Debian armel port soon.
>
> There really has to be some kind of upgrade plan from arm.  I
> wonder whether it would be possible to create a small ramdisk
> (plus armel kernel with arm support) that will automatically
> dist-upgrade your system from arm to armel.

Situations that will definitely break are situations like:
1. The user has installed old-ABI compiled binaries in his home
   directory or elsewhere.
2. The user has installed old-ABI ARM packages that aren't included
   in Debian (i.e. don't come from Debian.)

If neither (1) nor (2) are the case, it should be possible to
dist-upgrade the system entirely to armel (with possibly
catastrophic results if the upgrade is aborted half-way.)

If (1) or (2) are the case, I'm not sure what we can or should do.