Re: Softfloat on ARM?

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 21:47, Joey Hess wrote:
> Laz wrote:
> > Someone mentioned on this list back in January that they would build
> > an armel kernel package: did this ever happen? Can't see one in
> > http://armel-debs.applieddata.net/debian but I do see lots and lots
> > and lots of packages! :-)
>
> I've only just finished getting the kernel to build today. debs should
> show up in the above archive eventually, but for now I've uploaded my
> first build to
> http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/tmp/armel/linux-image-2.6.18-4-ixp4xx_2
>.6.18.dfsg.1-10_armel.deb
>
> (All the other kernel packages for other arm systems etc are in the
> same directory. I've not tested any of these kernels yet.)

Hmmmm...I thought I'd try your kernel first. I did need to
use -force-architechture to install it and it booted fine. However, it
gave me an illegal instruction when I tried to chroot into the armel
rootfs.

Then I had a go with mine. I didn't need -force-architecture with that (I
was probably meant to tell make-kpkg that it was a different architecture
or something), and it booted fine. With this kernel, I can chroot into
the armel rootfs. All I did for my kernel was copy the config for the arm
2.6.18-4 kernel to .config, make menuconfig and add EABI and the COMPAT
options (and /proc/config support so I can check the running kernel!),
and then "make-kpkg --initrd kernel-image" to build it.

Not really sure what to test in the chroot. apt-get update seemed to work
OK.

I'll try to swap over the rootfs properly at some point. Is there any way
of telling the kernel what to use as the root partition? I'm used to
being able to set it with grub!

Cheers,

Laz