Re: Softfloat on ARM?

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 09:11 +0000, Laz wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 21:47, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Laz wrote:
> > > Someone mentioned on this list back in January that they would build
> > > an armel kernel package: did this ever happen? Can't see one in
> > > http://armel-debs.applieddata.net/debian but I do see lots and lots
> > > and lots of packages! :-)
> >
> > I've only just finished getting the kernel to build today. debs should
> > show up in the above archive eventually, but for now I've uploaded my
> > first build to
> > http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/tmp/armel/linux-image-2.6.18-4-ixp4xx_2
> >.6.18.dfsg.1-10_armel.deb
> >
> > (All the other kernel packages for other arm systems etc are in the
> > same directory. I've not tested any of these kernels yet.)
>
> Timing! I built one myself last night!
>
> real    540m52.723s
> user    476m50.010s
> sys     46m20.850s
>
> Times for a deunderclocked Slug. Long but not unfeasibly so.

Nice. Mine took 20 mins longer (real time), of which there was 3 mins
more user time. I had some other processes running, so... I was a bit
worried about the size of the deb, only 8.5M whereas my x86 debs are all
20+M, probably due to a lot more drivers.

I also cross-compiled the kernel on a x86 laptop (1.5 GHz) and that took
me about half an hour. First, I though that it wasn't working right (I
noticed the 8.5M) but maybe it was. I used debootstrap on ubuntu edgy,
chrooted into it, added the emdebian sources and installed the cross-gcc
for arm. I used make-kpkg with --arch arm and --cross-compile
arm-linux-gnu. You see, I didn't document it, :-/ Anyway, I'm going to
test both kernels to see if they work. If they do, I really like
cross-compiling even though my x86 compiled kernel was a tiny bit larger
in size. Maybe not exactly the same compiler/linker/etc. used?

David