Re: Merging armel port into debian

On 2007-01-26 20:00 +0100, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 02:09:57AM +0000, Wookey wrote:
>
> Someone suggested to start a wiki page to keep track of TODO items.
> I made a start here, with a couple of things (off the top of my head)
> that need doing:
>
> 	http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiTodo

OK. Good. subscribed.

> > Setting up other buildds?
> >
> > You already have machines building there - are they set up as debian
> > buildds which could be connected to the experimental new or have you
> > just been doing it 'manual/custom'?
> >
> > Is ADS happy with the bandwidth for hosting the pile? Can other
> > buildds upload there?
>
> For the current (i.e. unofficial, non-DD) armel repository, there is
> more than enough build power available.  I could of course allow other
> buildds to upload to the current package repository as well, but that
> would end up mixing DD-built packages with non-DD-built packages, and
> wouldn't really have a lot of benefits, in my opinion.
>
> I.e., I think that it would be better if new build hardware that others
> are willing make available are used as experimental buildds, admin'd by
> DDs, and that I have nothing to do with them.  The experimental buildds
> should have the current (unofficial, non-DD) armel repository URL in
> /etc/apt/sources.list so that they can easily rebuild all current
> packages, but packages from the current (unofficial, non-DD) armel
> repository can not go into the experimental repository directly.

OK. That makes sense. I will set up buildds on the (new, reliable!)
MPCore board ARM donated for armel work, and on a balloon3 I think I
can scrounge for this purpose.

I am moving jobs and offices next week which won't help get things
done quickly, but I'll try and get it sorted reasonably promptly.

> > -----------
> > If you remind me often enough, I could bring up debian-extra to live
> > (which is intended to host multiple new "architectures" etc). Shouldn't
> > be too much work, but someone needs to remind me I fear.
> >
> > Other then that, the process is to nag Martin (zobel), Marc (HE) or me
> > enough to add an architecture to wanna-build.
>
> *nag* :)

We need to set up standard buildds they can just add to the system,
then start nagging.

For that, they/we need
(a) a set of Sources/Packages-files,
(b) some buildds needs to be configured to access wanna-build, and we
need to have ssh-pubkeys, one per machine.

Wookey
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/