Re: APEX, NSLU2, skip stuff

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 12:25:43AM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> [2006-08-13 12:44]:
> > All good.  I flashed the image the way I flash any upgrade.  Since
> > it booted, I believe it's all good.
>
> So, I can confirm that it also works for me.  I've booted both into
> debian-installer and into a Debian system, and I also tested a kernel
> which is bigger than 1 MB. :-)
>
> I noticed that APEX loads everything from a FIS partition into memory.
> Maybe it would be possible to honour the size entry from the Sercom
> header, but I don't think this is terribly important.

I'd rather not deal with that, but I could if we determine that it is
important.  Doing so will mean that this work with the skip headers is
void.  The SERCOMM header at the start of the kernel will be incorrect
because it refers to the size of the first chunk of the kernel.  The
time to copy isn't significant.

Also, I don't know if the SERCOMM header is a standard part of the FIS
spec, or if it was added by SERCOMM.  (Something which can be
determined.)  If it is 'required' then we could add another layer of
headers to make it work.  In other words, we would headerize the
kernel, split it into two pieces, each with headers and store them in
flash.  Then. we'd add a second skip to the kernel partition that
skips the kernel1 SERCOMM header.  A little messy, but technically
correct.