Re: APEX, NSLU2, skip stuff

* Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> [2006-08-13 15:14]:
> > What should the commands lines be for both the installer and the
> > runtime?
>
> I a bit confused by this.  What *should* be the command line?  If we
> use an initrd, is the command line root= going to be used?
> Moreover, if you are going to assign variables in the APEX
> environment, what do you plan to set or change?

If you use an _initrd_, the command line has to be root=/dev/ram,
otherwise the kernel won't find it.  However, if you use an initramfs
it will be loaded even without such a parameter.  In the case of
debian-installer, this means that root= doesn't have to exist or can
even be bogus (e.g. point to the disk).  In terms of booting from
disk, it would be good to set root (via the APEX environment).
However, if this is not possible then I can hard-code it into the
initramfs used to boot from disk.

In short:

 debian-installer:
   - can use an initrd or an initramfs
       - initrd -> requires root=/dev/ram
       - initramfs -> doesn't matter
   - I intend to use an initramfs

 boot from disk:
   - root= used to tell the boot process where to boot from
   - can be overriden by hard-coding it into the initramfs
   - If possible, root= should be set via the APEX environment
   - If this is not possible, I'll hard-code it into the initramfs

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/