Re: Alternate root partition on NSLU2.

* Thomas Gardner <ThoMGardner@PostOfficeBOX.COM> [2006-12-09 12:38]:
> I found update-initramfs to put together a new initrd.  I think I'm using
> that right by just changing my fstab to what I want in the end, running
> ``update-initramfs -u'' to generate the new initrd in my /boot directory.
> Is that right?
> 1) What am I missing?  How do I change over to my new root partition?
>
> 2) I'm using upslug2 from another machine to burn the flash mainly
> because I don't know any better.  I'm sure there's a way to do it right
> from the slug, but I don't know how to do that yet.  Would someone point
> me at the proper incantations for that?

Yes, edit /etc/fstab and then generate a new initramfs.  Then you can
simply run
    flash-kernel
which will write the new initramfs to flash.  After you reboot your
machine, Linux will hopefully boot from your new root partition.

In case something goes wrong and you have a root partition on sda1,
you can use the image from http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/upgrade.html
as a rescue option.

> 3) Is the boot sequence (and options) for these slugs documented anywhere?

Some bits are described here and there but probably not in a form that
is very helpful to you.

> 4) Is there an emergency boot method I haven't found yet (like booting
> without a drive under the old SlugOS/LE setup)?

Not in Debian, no.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/